Interventional Radiology (IR) is a subspecialty of Radiology that specializes in performing minimally invasive procedures using various imaging modalities such as X-ray, ultrasound and CT scan guidance.
IR procedures are performed by Interventional Radiologists, board-certified physicians whose expertise lies within an in-depth knowledge of image-guided treatments along with clinical and diagnostic experience across a multitude of specialties.
Using minimally invasive techniques, alternative options to conventional surgical or medical treatments are possible with less risk and discomfort, and which require less recovery time than conventional surgery. Mather’s dedicated team of interventional radiologists, technologists, nurse practitioner and nurses are committed to providing state-of-the-art care with skill, compassion and excellence. Find more information on Interventional Radiologists and IR procedures.
IR specialties include:
- Percutaneous Biopsy - tissue sampling under image guidance.
- Vertebral Augmentation (Balloon Kyphoplasty) - injecting biologic bone cement into the spinal vertebra for stability and pain relief in patients, especially those with osteoporosis.
- Women’s Health Interventions – Uterine fibroid embolization for symptomatic uterine fibroids; Pelvic venous embolization for symptomatic enlarged pelvic veins; Fallopian tube recannulization – reopening closed fallopian tubes for aiding in fertility options.
- Interventional Oncology - treating liver, lung, bone or kidney tumors non-surgically, implanting portacath venous access for chemotherapy, dissolving blood clots associated with cancer patients.
- STAR (Spinal Tumor Ablation using Radiofrequency) - a cutting-edge procedure used to treat secondary spinal tumors that can develop after a cancer diagnosis, easing patient pain. Read more about the procedure at: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/ex-firefighter-cutting-edge-spinal-treatment-article-1.1874738
Mather Interventional Radiology Associates (MIRA):
Interventional Radiology has often been referred to as the “doctor’s doctor” in that most patients came to IR through the referral of another doctor.
Mather’s IR Department has now formed Mather Interventional Radiology Associates (MIRA), an outpatient-based practice with expanded services, staff and outreach and the ability to see patients not referred by other physicians. Patients may be referred directly by their physicians or self-referred.
Located in the Weiss Pain Center, the practice offers consultative services, treatment options, community outreach and education.
For more information or to schedule an appointment with IR/MIRA: 631-476-2767, Fax: 631-473-0132.